The Super Shake Template
STEP 1: Pick a liquid
• Almond milk (unsweetened)
• Cow’s milk
• Soy milk (unsweetened)
• Iced green tea
• Hemp milk (unsweetened)
• Coffee (for a morning shake)
You can also add crushed ice if you want a frosty
shake, or leave it out. The less liquid you use, the
thicker the shake will be.
Pick a protein powder
• Whey protein
• Egg white protein
• Rice protein
• Pea protein
• Hemp protein
• Other proteins or protein blend
Some protein powders have thickeners added.
This will increase the thickness of your shake. Find
a protein supplement that you digest well and enjoy
the taste of. You can also use plain Greek yogurt or
cottage cheese instead of protein powder.
STEP 3: Pick a fruit
• Pitted cherries
• Powdered fruit supplement
You can use fresh or frozen fruit. Any fruit you like.
STEP 4: Pick a vegetable
• Dark leafy greens: spinach / Swiss chard / kale
• Cooked pumpkin or butternut squash
• Cooked sweet potato
• Powdered greens supplement
Spinach and celery are good bets, as they’re virtually flavorless
in your shake. Canned pumpkin is great too. It goes well with
vanilla. When using beets, try roasting and removing the skin
first. They go well with chocolate. If you add celery / cucumber,
make sure to adjust the amount of liquid you add.
STEP 5: Pick a healthy fat
• Walnuts / cashews / almonds
• Peanut, natural peanut butter, other nut butters
• Flax, hemp, and chia seeds
• Coconut milk
• 1/4 to 1/2 avocado
Use 1-3 thumbs of fat, depending on your needs. Avocado
in particular will give your shake a creamy consistency.
STEP 6: Blend that sucker up
STEP 7: Pick a topper (optional)
• Shredded unsweetened coconut
• Cacao nibs or grated dark chocolate
• Oats, granola
If you want to get fancy, sprinkle something on top of your
shake. A little goes a long way. Cinnamon is good with
vanilla and pumpkin. Add oats if you need extra carbs, or
yogurt if you want more protein and smoother consistency.
Reference: Precision Nutrition, Super Shake Guide